Sunday, February 24, 2013

Going to the chapel

My baby sister is getting married in May and I finally have something that I am doing for the wedding.

Sweetly enough she didn't ask me to be a bridesmaid as that is something I have never done and feel I would be terrible at it. Me thinks I'm not girly enough. But Peter will be an usher and I got to make these...

They are kneeling pillows. In Catholic weddings there is a lot of stand up, sit down, kneel, sit, stand, kneel and so the bride and groom don't sully their attire they usually have kneeling pillows. The center horizontal strip of green is the color of the bridesmaid's dresses, the burlap that the ribbon is laid over just goes with their color scheme and everything else is just a general wedding scheme. Who knew that lace and linen where such expensive items. I can see now why they were used as currency throughout some periods of history.

They are nearly complete at this point in time all I need to do is secure the lace in a few different places with some small hand stitches. Peter supervised me at the sewing machine as that is not really my area of expertise. I'm much better at hand sewing. Take me out in the wilderness with you and maybe I'll stitch you up! Also pictured underneath the pillows is an afghan that Peter's godmother made him some years ago. As you can see it matches the pillows perfectly.

1 comment: