Thursday, October 25, 2012

My life is a race!

As you know from my previous post Peter and I spent some time with my folks and siblings down in Tejas and this past weekend we spent some time with Peter's kin in the suburbs. Peter's Dad, John, is a race car enthusiast and has a garage full of cars out on a raceway in Joliet. John tells me that racing cars is something old men get excited about. In my experience young men do too. I remember when I was in college a popular date to take girls out to on Friday night was a racetrack 20 miles away. I suppose that's a backwoods Texas thing but I enjoyed the drag races. Peter and I were allowed to drive a few of the cars. The country club holds an annual event called Octberfast which is what we were attending. There are a few races for the hard core enthusiast and some touring laps (not above 50 MPH) for people that don't know how to drive race cars. Peter and I were able to drive during those laps. John kept trying to make me break the rules on the straight-aways. I did get up to 75 in the Mc Laren.

The above photo is a picture of Peter and I in front of John's first race car. It is a Lancer EVO (evolution) and one of the more user friendly racers out there, or so I'm told. Those helmets in our hands were a requirement as well as full on race straps across chest and legs and even a strap that comes up between your legs. The insides of my thighs were black and blue from how tightly I was squeezing that strap.



This is me in the McLaren F1 you have to stroke this car door to get it to open, there are no handles, and it opens up like wings as you can see below. 





This last photo is Peter driving the Aston Martin DB9. Unfortunately I was not able to drive it as it was a manual. One thing I have yet to learn in this life and I doubt John would want me teaching myself on his personal Bond car. 


Photos and cars courtesy of John...Thanks!

Hopefully our life will stop moving in the fast lane so I can get more post up on the blog. 



1 comment:

  1. Me reading this post:

    "Oh, cool, an EVO....

    ... JESUS CHRIST A MCLAREN!"

    Very cool!

    ReplyDelete